Melbourne is one of Australia’s largest cultural, business, recreational and sporting cities, and is recognised as one of the most liveable cities in the world. Combine this with the chance to gain new skills and grow your teaching career, and it’s no surprise that so many teachers are relocating from New Zealand to experience this fantastic city. But what is the day-to-day reality of living and teaching in Melbourne really like, and what’s involved in making the move?
In our latest Education webinar, host Ian McNally and special guests Billy Green and Rebecca McArthur delve beneath the surface to explore just that. During the conversation, they discussed the key things you need to know about moving countries and teaching in a different system, as well as provided practical insights and tips for Kiwi teachers considering the leap across the ditch.
The key discussion points include:
- What to expect from the experience of moving from New Zealand to Melbourne to teach.
- Top reasons to live in Melbourne and the lifestyle opportunities available here.
- How to choose a suburb to base yourself in and find suitable accommodation.
- What it’s like for New Zealand teachers to make the transition to the Victorian school system.
- The advantages of moving to Melbourne to teach and how it could benefit your teaching career.
- The demand for teachers in Melbourne and how easy it is to find permanent or casual relief teaching roles.
- Key things to do if you’re thinking about making the move and next steps for getting started.
For more details on moving from New Zealand to Melbourne as a teacher, be sure to watch the full episode below.